Wednesday, December 7, 2016

After Work Adventure

After work today I decided to go for a little adventure off base.  It was a really nice day, it warmed up to about -15*F with just a slight breeze. I went out one of the summer camp building and found a pair of cross country skis and off I went.

First Tracks

There is a loop that is "Set" but as you can see it's really just some old tracks.  We're free to leave the station if we want, we have to radio into communication to let them know where you're headed and what time you'll be back.

The loop is probably about four miles long with a warm up shack about halfway.  I really didn't need to warm up but I did want to see what was inside.
No Hills Here


Inside the Ski Shack

There was no heat in the shack but the back exterior with plexiglass panels acted like a solar panel and warmed the shed up to 60*F.  In the shack, I found a logbook with entries that started in in January of 1996.  It's incredible to think that people were skiing out to this shack when I was 10 years old.
Shelby from 2009 Sums up the South Pole Experience
"The Shack: The once place I smell a fart and appreciate : because I KNOW it was mine"  ~Shelby

Fart jokes aside, the shack is an amazing place to get way from the buzz of the station.  The view is really humbling.  It's an amazing place to relax, I know I'll be headed back out again.

Enjoying Solitude


Around 21:30 I decided that it was time to head back to the station for the night.

The thought of being able to ski for thousands of miles and not have to deal with another person is pretty relaxing (and tempting).

Beard Update


Hope everyone back home is doing well.  I miss you all (but I'm having a great time)!


JNIII




No comments:

Post a Comment