Friday, November 11, 2016

Flights 5-7 of 9

I made it from Denver to Christchurch. Other than flying through the jet wash of another plane mid-air on the approach to LAX, all three flights were uneventful. It was weird falling asleep on Thursday night and waking up Saturday Morning. The Garmin Vibe doesn't do so great in low light, so the pictures look a lot more depressing than they are.
The Terminal at Denver

The Interior of my Boeing 787-800 from LA to Auckland.  The overhead lights were blue all night and after it was time to wake up they slowly went from blue to orange to simulate the sunrise.

View from the approach to New Zealand

Riding in my first Right-Hand Drive, they also drive on the wrong side of the road.  I won't have a rental here, so I didn't think it was going to be a big deal.  Then I realized that when I crossed the street as a pedestrian, I instinctively looked to my left first but the cars were coming from my right.

In 2011 Christchurch was struck by a massive earthquake that leveled most of the city.  There used to be a mall here.  It's now what they call Re:Start, an outdoor shopping mall made from shipping containers. All of the little shops were nice (and they had food and beer).

Re:Start

Lunch at Re:Start, When in Rome

Christchurch Cathedral after the 2011 Earthquake





The city is still rebuilding from the 2011 Earth Quake.  There is construction everywhere.


A few quick notes after being in New Zealand for a few hours:
  • Customs in New Zealand was more concerned with people bringing in invasive species than they were with the actual security to get on a plane.
  • Mountain Dew is hard to find, and the calories are measured in kilojoules.
  • Taxes are included in the price so if the tag says $8 you only have to pay $8.
  • Everyone here wants to talk to me about Trump, all I want to talk about is where to find a beer.
  • I saw a Toyota Helix in diesel with a standard transmission.
  • My hotel room requires my key card to be inserted into a slot to turn the power on to my room, so they don't have people using electricity if they're not in their room.

No comments:

Post a Comment