Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Made it to the Ice

Finally, after a night without earthquakes or weather delays our shuttle picks us up a 04:45. By 08:00 we were strapped into the back of a C-17 ready to continue our trip South.
Loading into the C-17.

I will say it was the most enjoyable flight I’ve ever been on.  The fact that my shoulders were not crammed between a window and some dude my size and the fact I could stretch my legs made up for the fact the seats had no padding and you had to wear ear plugs.

Still better accommodations than a SouthWest Flight.

The flight was about five hours and we could move freely about as we desired.  There were only three or four little windows to look out but it wasn’t that bad.  After about four hours I got up to take a peak and this is what I saw.

First view of Antarctica


Pegasus Ice Field

Walking from the C-17 to ‘Ivan’ the Terra Bus.


'Ivan' the Terra Bus is still better than the X2


 The view from inside Ivan


Climbing the hill from Scott Base (NZ)

McMurdo Station
McMurdo Station.  Just to the right of the sign is a brown rectangle in the ice.  That is the Ice Pier that was built last winter.  By building up the ice, eventually it’ll break free and be used as a pier for the ships that come in later in the season.  I’ve heard that the pier can last 2-3 years, a few years back the conditions were good and they had one last over six years.

The National Science Foundation Chalet
After going through a quick Arrival Brief we met up with employees from our work groups.  My flight to South Pole has been rescheduled 4 times in one day and it looks like it won’t be happening until tomorrow morning.  Once my bags were checked in Christchurch I only had access to them for a few hours so I’ve been living out of my backpack and snow boots.  

Looking over the Ross Sea


A few quick Notes on McMurdo:
  • Today it warmed up to 12*F.
  • They have free soft serve ice cream 24 hours a day.
  • It feels similar working in the lodge at a ski resort, just without the tourists.
  • The store is well stocked with everything from souvenirs, to beer & liquor.
  • Did I mention unrestricted access to soft serve ice cream!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment